Washing Cloth Diapers with Unicorn Beyond Clean (or Power Scour)
There's not a lot of buzz about using Unicorn Beyond Clean to wash cloth diapers. It's generally talked about as being great for washing your wool items in wool cloth diapering forums. Based on my recent experience I think its use in cloth diaper laundering will gain momentum.
I started getting curious when I read the fine print on the Beyond Clean bottle. It states that it "removes soils on diapers." When I asked Unicorn Fibre about it they were excited to tell me about its effectiveness on cloth diapers and laundry in general. As a reference and great source of information they thankfully suggested I get in touch with Heather Seguin of Lilly & Frank
. She's been using Unicorn Beyond Clean on her cloth diapers longterm with no need to strip them. Ever.
Heather was kind enough to share with me her diaper laundry routine (below). I consistently followed the routine for the past four months and I'm happy to report that the Unicorn detergent is working well and without flaw; no rashes, no stinks, no problems!
Although Unicorn might be a bit more expensive than some of the other options: remember that people frequently pay a lot of money for convenience. I think it's a great option for those who are having a difficult time finding an effortless cloth diaper laundry routine. I'm not saying it's a solution for everyone but I think it's worth a try if you're struggling. It could save you the time of troubleshooting your laundry which could be better spent with your littles or catching that much needed nap.
Instructions for using Unicorn Beyond Clean to wash cloth diapers in a front-load washing machine:
1. Keep loads to between 12-15 diapers
2. Run one quick wash with warm water as a "pre-wash" with NO detergent
3. Add 1 oz (half cap OR 2 Tablespoons) Unicorn Beyond Clean or Unicorn Power Scour to the soap dispenser. Optional - Add 1 to 1/2 oz (half cap to quarter cap) of Unicorn Beyond Soft or Unicorn Fibre Rinse to the softener dispenser (I use 1 oz Beyond Soft in every other load to keep the diapers soft and fluffy).
4. Run a heavy duty cycle on warm
5. Tumble dry on no heat or Hang to dry and air fluff in dryer w/ no heat or extra extra low heat
For an unbeatable shipped price on the products you need to get started check out YOOKI's Unicorn Cloth Diaper Laundry Set.
Now Stocked: Unicorn Baby products by the gallon for added cost savings :)